Wednesday, March 28, 2012

FAQ's - My Thinking on Preps

I thought it would be useful to summarize my point of view of why I "prep" or call myself a "prepper".  I'm going to do this in the form of a FAQ.

What influenced you to start prepping?
Let me start by quoting from one of my favorite web sites that I'm "not whack job crazy".  In fact, I'd like to think that my reasons for prepping are far more calculated.  Prepping is actually something that's been on my mind literally for years.  I've discussed prepping with friends as far back as 2006.    Lately, having Cole in my life has given me a heightened awareness of my need to try and protect my family from anything I realistically can.  But it's more than that - my reading list over the past few years has consisted of a lot of historically fiction (John Jakes, Patrick O'Brian), some alternate reality fiction set in times that didn't have a lot of our current technologies, and of course some apocalyptic doomsday fiction.  All good stuff I assure you.  But a common theme in all of the novels is how the characters dealt with not having computers, electricity, etc.  Essentially, life 100 years ago.  In addition, this past summer, Barb, Cole, and I visited the Museum of the Rockies.  One of the really cool exhibits is a turn of the century (1900) farmhouse.  In the exhibit, there are people wearing clothes and doing tasks from that era - blacksmithing, weaving, farming, etc.  These kinds of chores/hobbies interest me.

What events do you really think will occur to make all this work worthwhile?
 Let me quote Jack Spirko and say "Everything you do to “prepare” for emergencies, disasters or economic turmoil should be blended into your life in a way that improves your life even if nothing disastrous ever occurs."  This is 1 of his 10 core values as to why to prep.  In fact, it's the very first one.  Read about them here:  http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/articles-by-jack/modern-survival-philosophy-2.

I have a ranking of events that I think are possible to happen to my family.  I developed this ranking based on Jack Spirko's 6th core value, which is "Plan for disaster in the following order of priority – Personal-Localized-Regional-State-National-Global."
1.  Personal:  I think it's likely that Barb or I could experience a vehicle breakdown of some sort in the next 10 years.  Therefore, my preps include having gear stored in the vehicles to help us if we are stuck on the road.  We subscribe to AAA as our first line of defense against vehicle breakdown.  We keep cell phones with us when we go somewhere in a vehicle.  We insure that we do all the required maintenance on our vehicles.  We fill up the car with gas when the tank gets half full.
I think it's possible that either Barb or I could lose our job sometime in the next 10 years.  I think it's possible that either Barb, Cole, or I could be very sick sometime in the next 10 years, possibly to the extent of partial loss of income or extremely high medical expenses.  Therefore, my preps include having a store of extra food that could sustain us for 6 mos to lower our monthly costs.  We are starting to grow some of our own food for the same reason.  We are putting money into savings to help cover living expenses for such an eventuality.  We are paying off our credit cards every month to keep our credit clear as a secondary line of defense.  We are paying off our house and car loans as quickly as we can to lower our monthly expenditures.

2.  Localized:  I think it's highly likely that we will lose power in the house sometime in the next year.  I think it's likely that the power outage will occur concurrently with cold weather.  Therefore, my preps include food storage, alternate sources of heat, alternate sources of light, and alternate sources for cooking. 

I think it's possible that we could have a house fire sometime in the next 10 years.  Therefore, my preps include keeping important documents and extra cash in a fire-proof safe.  We have smoke detectors in each bedroom and the kitchen.  I'm going to install a smoke detector in the garage.  I have fire extinguishers located in the linen closet upstairs, kitchen downstairs, in the garage, and each of the cars.  We have roll down escape ladders stored in each bedroom on the 2nd floor.  We talk about what to do in the event of a grease fire.  We keep supplies in each car that can help us in the short term.  We are developing a network of friends that can help us in the event of a loss of the house.

3.  Regional/State:  I think it's highly likely that there will be a large snow storm that will shut down this area for several days in the next year.  Therefore, my preps include storing extra food in the house.  We intend to always own at least 1 4-wheel drive vehicle.  We have chains for each of the vehicles.  We have warm clothing and boots in case we have to leave the house on foot.

I think it's possible that we'll experience a large magnitude earthquake in the next 10 years.  Therefore, my preps include storing supplies in a location external to the house to make them readily accessible.  We keep tools that can help us gain access to certain areas of the house in the event of a collapse to reach more supplies.  We keep a store of water external to the house.  We keep spare  gear in the vehicles.

4.  National/Gobal:  I think it's possible that an economic disaster could occur in my lifetime.  This could include the loss of goods coming into the city and the ability of the government to respond.  This could result in no food, water, power, energy available in the city.  Therefore, my preps include being able to leave the city to a known remote location.  We can do this primarily in a vehicle or if necessary on foot.  We are teaching ourselves skills that can help us survive in the wilderness around us.

As you can see, a lot my preps for the more local emergencies dovetail well into the large scale emergencies.
What are your short term prepper goals? 
 I think it makes the most sense to prepare for the personal and localized events first.  As I stated, there are highly likely scenarios that I think will occur within the next year.  I maintain a list of prepper tasks that I prioritize in terms of cost, effort, and necessity.  I'm also working to build a network of preppers to become a safety net in the event of a personal tragedy that may require the help of others to overcome.  I'm learning to grow things in my own yard.  I'm constantly learning new skills to add to my personal skill "toolbox".
What are your long term prepper goals? 


Eventually, I'd like to purchase a bug out location.  This would be used in the event of a national/global crisis.  I'd like to stock it with equipment and make it defensible.  At the same time, I'd like it to become a recreation area where I can camp, shoot, grow food, play paint ball, or experiment with coming "off the grid."  I think of prepping as a hobby as much as I think of it as useful tool to help keep my family safe.

Why blog about prepping?

I think it puts subject matter out for people to discuss ideas and to talk about what the best approaches might be to solve a given problem.  I think it's a great way to build a network of friends.  I think it's a great way to learn and to teach.  I think on a prepper blog, there can be something that will strike a chord with anyone who reads it, no matter how serious they are about prepping.  Most of all, I think it gets people to think, which is a skill we seem to lack all to often in our modern world.

What 1 question would you ask of anyone reading this post?

What does prepping mean to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment