Sunday, April 8, 2012

New Product -- Tooblite - A Review by My Friend Bill

Saw (and purchased) this at the NW Sportsmans show in January and thought it was pretty neat, so I thought I'd share.  Totally ok to criticize if you think it's totally lame and that I got suckered (entirely possible).  So, with that ...

http://www.uvpaqlite.com/tooblite.html

Tooblites are basically high-powered glow-in-the-dark sticks or sheets.  These are not the glow-in-the-dark stars from the cereal box.  They work as advertised.  They charge quickly (even with ambient light) and easily last all night.  They can be re-used indefinitely and provide enough light, to least get around/get dressed/etc. in the dark.  Also water-proof.

If you charge it with an intense light (flashlight or lamp) it will glow brightly for 5-10 minutes -- on the order of a chemical glo-stick or indiglo watch.  After that, it puts out a soft glow that easily lasts all night.  Once your eyes are adjusted to the darkness, they provide enough light to "get around" a darkened room, tent, etc.  I've been "testing" one of mine (3" tube) by my bedside for months.  I also have a 6" tube, the "dots" (ok, those are for my son), and a small sheet (UVPaqlite).

2 comments:

  1. Bill those look totally sweet. I'm glad you posted this. I just got through scrubbing the idea of bothering with chemlights in my pack b/c they were 1 use only. I figured why bother carrying something in my pack that I cannot use for a long time. I'm going to add these to all of my BOB's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually bought these (internet order through the manufacturer UVPaqlite) after seeing a facebook ad about them. They are cool, and Bill's description was right on. I have one of the tooblite, one of the small sheets (4x6) and one of the large sheets (8x15). I'm going to get a tooblite for each BOB (I just got a couple of sample ones to see if I liked them, and I do).

    That being said I also keep three chemlites in the outside pocket of each BOB. In a bad power failure, there is no light - and it's dark. If we had to walk a distance with out BOBs having a chemlite to break, to be able to keep track of each other (especially little ones) is invaluable. Chemlites are one use only, but they last for years until needed and they are cheap.

    When my kids were young and we went camping I had a cord with a chemlite and a whistle on in that went around the kids necks once it started getting dark and stayed there until they went to bed.

    ReplyDelete